Thursday 30 April 2015

Art Class - Flowers in a Vase


Flowers in a Vase
Another flower still life.  I started painting a still life at class but spent so long on trying to get the red velvet tablecloth correct it was nowhere near finished. We were supposed to add a scene behind the flowers but the view I had was of just others painting, not the window overlooking the river Wensum. I came home quite despondent.  I tried adding a view overlooking my garden but couldn't get the angles of the table to fit to my windows so time to start again.  We had to look at the paintings of Elizabeth Blackadder for homework and I found one I really liked 'Flowers in a Vase'.  So this is my homage to her painting.

I started by making some Gelli prints using mixes of black and white acrylic and some stencils to cover piece of paper. Always good fun when your spirits are low and my take on adding a scene behind the flowers.
Sketched in the flowers from my original still life and then added bright colour acrylic mixed with gloss medium so that the background still showed through. The primula flowers didn't stand out enough so I gave them an undercoat of white acrylic and then a yellow glaze again.  Finally some black pen around the outlines, which might have been a step too far.  I am much happier now and might go back and have another go at finishing the original one I started in class. 

Lesley x

No comments:

Post a Comment