Thursday 14 May 2015

Art Class - Calla Lily

Yellow Calla Lillies

Art class this week we had to find a picture by a favourite artist and do our own version.  My picture is based on 'Calla Lily' by Tamara de Lempicka.  I brought in my own fairly life-like plastic lillies and borrowed a vase from the studio. I used Lempicka's composition, vase of flowers and a present, and copied some of the leaves from her painting as well as trying to do a similar background to hers.  The painting is not as clean and smooth as I would have liked as the acrylic paper I used had quite a rough canvas texture. I found painting the glass vase quite difficult and left it until last.  Not a good idea as I had to finish the painting off at home without the vase to refer to. The actual vase was made of green glass but I decided this would make the painting too dark so I painted it as clear glass.  My background is not quite as blue as the photograph makes it look. Friendly critique, good or bad would be welcome.

Lesley x

No comments:

Post a Comment